Week 8 Path To Mountain West Title Game
Who is in and who is out
We all know the Mountain West has been all over the place this year with teams that are usually bad but are now good and vice versa. With league play full in place, we will take a look at who has a path to win their divisions.
The game of the week that is basically all but an elimination game is Wyoming vs. Utah State. Both teams have one loss each and the loser obviously will have a second one be behind the eight-ball.
One reason it is not 100% lose and you’re done is that Air Force has two defeats of their own, and don’t count out the Falcons just yet. The Aggies and Cowboys have each defeated the Falcons. So, any slip-up by Air Force will help both of these teams.
The problem with a two-loss team getting there is that Boise State is currently undefeated and can afford at least one loss. The Broncos do still have to play Air Force, Utah State and Wyoming, so, theoretically, those opponents have a shot to take out the Broncos.
Of these four teams in the mix, below are the scenarios to win the division and make the conference title game.
- Air Force needs to win out and have Utah State and Wyoming get to a third conference loss due to the Falcons losses to both, and have Boise State lose two league games.
- Boise State can win out and be in as an undefeated team, simple. A one-loss Broncos team makes the title game as well. That scenario would require them to make sure their loss is not to a one-loss Wyoming or Utah State team.
- Colorado State has one loss and if they win out would be the Mountain Division representative, but come on! That is not happening.
- Utah State is still in the mix as well and need to win out. With QB4, it will be tough.
- Wyoming going 7-1 will get them in the title game as well.
- Boise State, 70.6%
- Air Force, 13.1%
- Wyoming, 11.6%
- Wyoming, 4.6%
- Colorado State, 0.1%
So, as you can see there is a lot of football left.
On the West side of the conference, things are even crazier with four teams having one loss in San Jose State, Fresno State, Hawaii, and San Diego State. Those teams win and their in. UNLV has two league losses and can get back into the mix if quarterback Doug Brumfield can return healthy.
The West Division is too hard at the moment to pin down scenarios. There may not be too much separation in that division this week. UNLV and San Jose State are playing non-conference games.
Hawaii goes on the road to take Colorado State and the Warriors can win and will be in good position in the West. However, no one really believes that Hawaii can be in the mix.
The other league game out West is between Nevada and San Diego State. While the Aztecs are not what people thought, they likely will get the win and keep pace with the other one-loss teams.
Look back for Week 9 games to see what games will impact the West Division title race.