Hawaii Holds Off Colorado State's Rally, Wins 50-45

Hawaii Holds Off Colorado State's Rally, Wins 50-45

Colorado State

Hawaii Holds Off Colorado State's Rally, Wins 50-45


[jwplayer jF5wU66N-sNi3MVSU]

Hawaii Holds Off Colorado State’s Rally, Wins 50-45

Warriors put up half a hundred for the win

Contact/Follow @JeremyMauss & @MWCwire

Hawaii slings it around all night in the win

The Warriors held on to beat the Colorado State Rams in a 50-45 shootout in Manoa and sent their senior class out in style in front of the last home crowd of the season. The game got a little too close for comfort as the Rams rallied from a 36-10 third quarter deficit to make it a one score game but the Bows were able to close it out with a couple of clutch 4th quarter scoring drives.

Bo in the Booth…

For the first time this season, Offensive Coordinator Bo Graham called plays from the coaches booth. I’ve been very critical of Bo this season but I have to give him credit for trying something different because the new perspective from the field to the booth paid off. The Hawaii offense had its best performance of the season led by Chevan Cordeiro’s big night where he accounted for 406 yards, 2 passing touchdowns and added one more score on the ground. Receiver Zion Bowens got his opportunity last night and he took full advantage with 6 catches for 172 yards, including a 93 yard touchdown that is good for the second longest scoring play in program history.

Nick Mardner and Calvin Turner Jr. also shined in the victory both eclipsing 90 yards through the air. Turner Jr. dropped a sure touchdown early in the second half, but bounced back and had a key catch and run to set up Hawaii’s last score of the night. 

It was the most balanced attack we have seen from the Bows all season long. Not only did they have over 400 yards through the air, but they also were able to grind out 129 yards on the ground behind Dedrick Parsons 11 carries for 78 yards and two touchdowns. Parson’s two rushing touchdowns helped to put the game away late.

The Warriors struggled in the red zone early in the game and were forced to take three field goals after driving the field and stalling inside the 20. Although they were not able to punch the ball into the endzone, they were able to keep the chains moving and put together three scoring drives on their first three opportunities. That has to be the first time it has happened this season. The Warriors were 7 of 16 on third down conversions and only had four three and outs all game which was a big step in the right direction.

Darius the Destroyer…

The Hawaii defense gave up a concerning 651 yards of Offense to the Rams offense not known for being explosive. 527 of those yards came through the air, most of which during the Rams fourth quarter rally on blown coverages. It didn’t seem like the Hawaii defense gave up that many yards because they were swarming for most of the game. They played opportunistic football, something they have done all season. 

Darius “the Destroyer” Muasau led the Bows with 13 tackles, two sacks, 2.5 tackles for loss, a pass break up and three forced fumbles. Although the Bows only recovered one of his three force fumbles, it was impressive to see him attack the ball and play another one of his signature sideline-to-sideline games where it feels like he is in on every play. 75% of the world is covered by water, the other 25% is covered by Darius.

Khoury Bethley continued his campaign for Mountain West defensive player of the year. He has to be the most versatile defensive player in the conference and he continued to show that versatility with 6 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tackle for loss and an interception, his fifth of the season. He did not participate in the Senior night festivities which gives hope that he will return next season. After the year he’s had if the NFL calls, who could blame him for answering. 

Always a great night when the Bows win. In fact, the feeling on the Islands lingers until the next game. People are happier, the weather is even more beautiful, and the food tastes better after a Warrior victory. I’m glad this senior class got to go out on a high note. Listening to post-game interviews by seniors Calvin Turner Jr., Cortez Davis and Kohl Levao, you got a sense of how important it is for them to represent not only the program, but the community and the islands. The Warriors will close out the 2021 campaign on the road against Wyoming. Elevation and cold weather makes it a tough trip for the Warriors but let’s hope they can finish the season strong. As always, let’s go Bows!



More MWWire