Week 5 Mountain West Football Power Rankings
A new number 1!
Three teams earn a first-place vote
We tried to warn you that the Mountain West would be full of parody with a lot of really good teams. With Hawaii upsetting Fresno State and San Diego State and Wyoming remaining undefeated, it caused a big shift in rankings.
The first through seven spots are different this week — albeit with a lot of shifting — with three different teams earning a first-place vote. San Diego State was off this past week so they moved up one spot to be No. 1 and held off Nevada who earned five first-place votes. The other first-place vote went to Wyoming who is fourth but despite being undefeated, is not garnering a ton of confidence in our staff ranking.
Air Force made the biggest jump in what might be an overcorrection after its recent loss to Utah State which seemed like an outlier with its defense giving up 49 points to the Aggies. The other four Falcons games saw the defense allow just 34 points total in those wins.
1. San Diego State (6 first-place votes, 137 points LW: 2)
2. Nevada (5 first-place votes, 132 points, LW: 3)
3, Air Force (102 points, LW: 7)
4. Wyoming (1 first-place vote, 93 points, LW: 4)
5. Fresno State (91 points, LW: 1)
6. Boise State (84 points, LW: 5)
7. Utah State (64 points, LW: 6)
8. San Jose State (63 points, LW: 8)
9. Hawaii (56 points, LW: 9)
10. Colorado State (38 points, LW: 10)
11. New Mexico (27 points, LW: 10)
12. UNLV (12 points, LW: 12)