Week 2 Mountain West Football Power Rankings
Fresno State still at the top
A solid top three
The latest Mountain West power rankings offer a little bit of change after Utah State came crashing down to reality by losing 27-3 at home to Boise State. The Aggies were No. 3 in last week’s poll and dropped to sixth, which seems appropriate for their 3-1 start.
At the top, Fresno State did lose one of its first-place votes with a close 38-30 win over UNLV. San Diego State picked up that vote to give them three and placed them firmly in second, and Nevada had an off week moved up to take the Aggies spot at No. 3.
At the other end, UNLV is at the bottom but it is not as clear cut for the spots around them as New Mexico, Hawaii and Colorado State are toiling in the bottom three positions as of now. The Rams have shown some promise with that 22-6 win over Toledo two weeks ago and hanging around to nearly upset No. 5 Iowa is not enough to push them past No. 9.
1. Fresno State (11 first-place votes, 165 points, LW: 1)
2. San Diego State (2 first-place votes, 136 points, LW: 2)
3. Nevada (121 points, LW: 4)
4. Wyoming (118 points, LW: 5)
5. Boise State (105 points, LW: 7)
6. Utah State (99 points, LW: 3)
7. Air Force (95 points, LW: 8)
8. San Jose State (71 points, LW: 6)
9. Hawaii (56 points, LW: 10)
10. Colorado State (41 points, LW: 10)
10. New Mexico (41 points, LW: 11)
12. UNLV (15 points, LW: 12)