2021 Mountain West Bowl Projections: First Look At The Postseason
These are sure to be wrong
First stab at bowl season
Last year, the Mountain West bowl lineup, and many across college football, was very different due to COVID-19 with many games getting cancelled and adjusted.
The 2021-22 bowl cycle looks to be a full go and should be back to normal this fall. There will be a different look for the bowl season within the Mountain West as the Los Angeles Bowl finally gets to have its debut and this contest is basically replacing the Las Vegas Bowl with the conference champion taking on a mid-level Pac-12 team.
That LA Bowl is the only one scheduled to be against a Power 5 opponent unless a Mountain West team gets to a New Year’s Six game or there is some shuffling.
As for who will play where and who is basically throwing darts in May because so many things can change and these early projections are based on our staff power rankings, which also are way too early and likely wrong.
This year’s Mountain West is expected to be very competitive and six bowl slots might not be enough. Perhaps there will be backup agreements but in this initial projection, there will be some disappointed teams.
Bowl Lineup and matchups
- College Football Playoff/New Year’s Six Bowl
- Los Angeles Bowl vs. Pac-12, Los Angeles
- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs. MAC, Boise, Idaho
- New Mexico Bowl vs. Sun Belt or C-USA, Albuquerque, N.M.
- NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl vs. MAC, Tucson, Ariz.
- SoFi Hawai’i Bowl vs. AAC or C-USA, Honolulu
- Tropical Smoothie Café Frisco Bowl vs. C-USA