2021 Post-Spring Mountain West Football Rankings
Any changes after spring football?
Spring wrapped, did rankings change
All of the Mountain West teams have wrapped up spring football and a few things have been learned about these teams but plenty of questions remain about a lot of these teams.
Quarterback play is a big concern for about half of the league has questions at quarterback with a competition that will go through fall camp.
- Boise State has Jack Sears vs. Hank Bachmeier, the latter has started as a true freshman but last year missed a few games with Sears stepping up and playing well.
- New Mexico is going through about four or so quarterbacks while they went through spring football which was a continuation of the 2020 season where the Lobos had to dip into its fifth quarterback to finish the season.
- San Diego State has a three-way battle between Lucas Johnson, Jordon Brookshire, Jalen Mayden. None of the three played well in the spring game and created no separation.
- Utah State has a few quarterbacks in Andrew Peasley, Cooper Legas and also Arkansas State transfer Logan Bonner. Bonner did not play during spring football. Legas and Peasley did play in 2020, so all three have starting experience.
- Wyoming’s battle is one that has no real wrong answer in Levi Williams or Sean Chambers. It will be up to new offensive coordinator Tim Polasek.
- UNLV has its own three-player race between Sophomore Doug Brumfield, junior Justin Rogers and freshman Cameron Friel will duke it out for the No. 1 QB job. Nothing was decided after its 15 practices.
All of the quarterback competitions heading into the fall make it murky to decide what team is expected to be good, but also after spring football there is not always enough information, good or bad, to make a change in the pecking order for the upcoming season.
Yet, we give it a go and below are our updated power rankings.
MW WIRE POWER RANKINGS
- Boise State (LW: 1)
- Nevada (LW: 2)
- San Jose State (LW: 3)
- San Diego State (LW: 6)
- Wyoming (LW: 5)
- Fresno State (LW: 4)
- Air Force (LW: 8)
- Hawaii (LW: 7)
- Colorado State (LW: 9)
- Utah State (LW: 9)
- UNLV (LW: 12)
- New Mexico (LW: 11)