Schedule for Day 1 begins with No. 19 Texas and Davidson
More Blue Ridge than Blue Crush, the Maui Invitational is all set in Asheville.
- What: 2020 Maui Invitational
- Where: Harrah’s Cherokee Center, Asheville, N.C.
- How to Watch: ESPN/ESPN2; WatchESPN
Get up, it's gameday!! 🤘
— Texas Men's Basketball (@TexasMBB) November 30, 2020
GAME 1 — 9 a.m. PT — No. 19 Texas vs. davidson
- No. 19 Texas (1-0, 0-0 Big XII) comes into this game on the heels of a massive 91-55 win over UTRGV. The Longhorns are led by Courtney Ramey, Matt Bradley, and five-star freshman Greg Brown. Head coach Shaka Smart could use a strong showing in Maui to make his case for staying on as coach in Austin.
- Davidson (1-0, 0-0 Atlantic 10) could pose all sorts of the threats for opponents. Hyunjung Lee and Kellan Grady cause nightmares for opposing defenders, and Luka Brajkovic is a capable big man. Look for Bob McKillop’s team to provide an upset scare.
Prediction: No. 19 Texas 77, Davidson 70
Aloha from Asheville. 🌺🤙 pic.twitter.com/lZKfQlXzU2
— Indiana Basketball (@IndianaMBB) November 29, 2020
GAME 2 — 11:30 A.m. PT — PROVIDENCE VS. INDIANA
- Providence (1-0, 0-0 Big East) will try to ride the momentum of their opening win over Fairfield to take down one of the nation’s most storied programs. The Friars are led by a fantastic trio of Nate Watson, David Duke, and AJ Reeves. This team might be the third best Big East team behind Villanova and Creighton.
- Indiana (1-0, 0-0 Big Ten) come into the game as narrow favorites against Providence, and the big reason is Trayce Jackson-Davis. The star sophomore had 26 points and 11 rebounds in the Hoosiers’ opener against Tennessee Tech. TJD could easily be an All-American this season.
Prediction: Indiana 67, Providence 65
— Carolina Basketball (@UNC_Basketball) November 30, 2020
GAME 3 — 4:00 P.M. PT — NO. 16 NORTH CAROLINA VS. UNLV
- Full game preview for UNC-UNLV
- No. 16 North Carolina (1-0, 0-0 ACC) enters the event as the likely winners, led by surefire Hall of Fame coach Roy Williams. The Tar Heels boast an extremely strong frontcourt headlined by senior Garrison Brooks, but freshman guard Caleb Love will also turn heads in Asheville.
- UNLV (0-1, 0-0 MW) was riding a wave of high expectations into the season, but a loss to Montana State has thrown a wrench into those hopes. The Rebels, led by the dangerous scoring tandem of Bryce Hamilton and David Jenkins, could make up a lot of ground with an upset over UNC.
Prediction: No. 16 North Carolina 85, UNLV 71
Get up, it's 𝗚𝗔𝗠𝗘𝗗𝗔𝗬!
— Stanford Men's Basketball (@StanfordMBB) November 30, 2020
GAME 4 — 6:30 p.M. PT — ALABAMA VS. STANFORD
- Alabama (1-0, 0-0 SEC) is right on the fringes of the Top 25, and a strong showing in Asheville should get them there easily. Nate Oats has a dangerous roster, headlined by John Petty, Herb Jones, Jaden Shackelford, and Jahvon Quinerly. The Tide is not just a football school anymore.
- Stanford (0-0, 0-0 Pac-12) is the only team in the field that has yet to start its season. The Cardinal will lean on big man Oscar da Silva and guard Daejon Davis for success this year, but the main attraction for this team is likely Ziaire Williams. The explosive wing was a Top 10 recruit this offseason.
Prediction: Alabama 74, Stanford 72
The first day of this event should provide plenty of great basketball and close matchups. While we haven’t predicted any massive upsets, the Maui Invitational always provides some surprises.
Andrew Dieckhoff is a USBWA member writing about college basketball for Mountain West Wire of the USA TODAY Sports Media Group and The DPI Gradebook presented by Heat Check CBB. Andy is a returned Peace Corps Volunteer and a graduate of Portland State University. He currently resides in Portland, Oregon.