Colorado State Extends Niko Medved Through 2026
Hoops coach sticking around
After two years, Medved gets an extension
Good news has not been exactly common these days, but in Fort Collins, Colorado, there is some happiness with the Colorado State Rams extending hoops coach Niko Medved after just two years and through the 2026 season.
Medved started the Rams with a 12 win season in his first year and then last year he increased that by eight to get to 20 wins for the first time in two years.
— Colorado State Men’s Basketball (@CSUMBasketball) November 19, 2020
Medved’s salary is $750,000 through the duration of the new deal until its conclusion in 2026, and that is an increase from his prior deal which was paying him $700,000 per year.
The Coloradoan obtained the bonuses for Medved:
- $40,000 for winning 20 or more games against Division I opponents in a season.
- $50,000 for winning a Mountain West title (regular season or tournament). If CSU wins both regular season and tournament, the bonus is capped at $50,000.
- $25,000 for finishing second or third in the MW regular-season standings.
- $75,000 for qualifying for the NCAA tournament.
- $30,000 for qualifying for the NIT.
- $75,000 each for advancing to the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight.
- $125,000 for advancing to the Final 4.
- $200,000 for winning an NCAA championship.
These bonuses will not be awarded this current season due to COVID-19 taking a big hit out of revenue from buy games and fans in the stands being low or non-existent.
This is a good move for Colorado State as this roster Medved has is going to be around for a few years and this team is starting to build a team that can compete for a Mountain West title.
It likely will not happen this year but next season is a year to watch out for the Rams, and winning a conference title or even contending is something that Colorado State has done a couple of times in the Mountain West era which included three NCAA Tournament berths with five seasons of 20 or more wins.