Latest Updates On Eric Musselman, Arkansas Head Coaching Job
The latest in what’s been a crazy 24 hours in Reno and Fayetteville
What we know now about Musselman and his Arkansas ties
What a wild 24 hours it’s been.
Rumors began swirling on Arkansas message and fan boards about Eric Musselman having interest and being sought after by the university late Monday night, with little factual backing.
Tuesday, however, is where all the chaos began.
- Stadium’s Jeff Goodman reported Tuesday morning that Musselman was a “serious candidate” for the Arkansas head coaching position (as far as we know, that’s still true).
- Musselman was *not* in Fayetteville at any point Tuesday, despite numerous reports coming out that Musselman was on campus formally interviewing for the position. That wasn’t true.
- Musselman was in Reno Tuesday with Caleb Martin working out, and used his location in a tweet he posted.
- Bud Walton Arena appears set up for a press conference at any time, though we don’t know how long ago it’s been set up that way or what it truly means.
- Ex-UCLA head coach Steve Alford has been named a candidate for the Arkansas opening, per Jeff Goodman.
Those are the main bullet points and a recap of what happened yesterday. For what’s to come, no one really knows. We can assume that there has at least been a phone interview or face-to-face interaction in Reno at some point between Musselman and Arkansas officials. Again, it’s tough to know what’s going on behind the scenes until reports are made. What we do know is that Arkansas heavily values Musselman’s prospects and sees him as a top candidate for this opening and Musselman has at least some interest as well.
Eli Boettger is the lead basketball writer at Mountain West Wire. He’s covered Mountain West basketball since 2015 and his work has been featured on Bleacher Report, NBC Sports, SB Nation, Yahoo Sports, MSN, and other platforms. Boettger is a current USBWA member.