Mountain West Coaching Tracker
Head coaches, assistants, and more moving on or staying put.
Keep up to date with the coaching offseason moves in the Mountain West
The offseason coaching crazy season is here and the Mountain West has had a few moves already and a few teams announcing its coaches will be back.
Check back daily-ish for the latest updates and news.
- Utah LB coach John Ena is officially taking the defensive coordinator job with Utah State.
- Former Western Kentucky head coach Mike Sanford is reportedly being named the Utah State offensive coordinator, per ESPN.
- Football Scoop is reporting that Utah State’s new defensive coordinator is Justin Ena. He was the co-special teams coordinator and LB coach with Utah.
- T.J. Woods will join Utah State’s staff and possibly as offensive coordinator. He previously the offensive line coach at Bowling Green.
- David Yost will be calling offensive plays for Utah State in the New Mexico bowl. Yost is following Matt Wells to Texas Tech.
- Matt Wells will not be on the sideline, previously AD John Hartwell said that was fine.
- Boise State DL coach Chad Kauha’aha’a is heading to USC.
- Utah State announces the hiring of Gary Anderen as its head coach.
- Chad Kauha’aha’a is in hot demand. Football Scoop reports that Boise State is trying to extend the DL coach, but they are reporting new Utah State head coach Gary Andersen wants him on staff. There is also interest from USC.
- The Herald Journal is reporting that Gary Andersen will be the next Utah State head coach with an announcement coming as early as Sunday.
- SB Nation reports former Arizona and West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriguez, Maryland interim head coach Matt Canada, and former Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich were being considered for the job.
- Pete Thamel and Bruce Feldman reporting that Gary Andersen is Utah State’s top target to replace Matt Wells. We heard this last week but this time might be the real thing.
- Utah State losing More coaches to Texas Tech. Luke Wells (TEs/IRs coach), Jovon Bouknight (outside WRs coach), Steve Farmer (OL coach) and DeAndre Smith (RB coach).
- DB coach Julius Brown will join Matt Wells at Texas Tech
- OL coach Steve Farmer leaves Utah State for same position at Texas Tech.
- Football Scoop reports that Gary Andersen will be the new Utah State head coach.
- Bruce Feldman and others report that Utah State has not yet decided on its head coach, so stay tuned.
- Utah State AD John Hartwell named defensive line coach Frank Maile as the interim head coach for the Aggies bowl game.
- Utah State head strength and conditioning coach Dave Scholz will be going to Texas Tech,
- Utah State defensive backs coach Julius Brown is expected to join Matt Wells’ staff in Lubbock.
- Here are names to consider for the Utah State job.
- Bob Davie will be on the New Mexico sidelines in 2019, per Lobos athletics director Eddie Nunez.
- UNLV’s new AD, Desiree Reed-Francois said that Tony Sanchez will be back as head coach in 2019. Bowl game is implied as a goal for Sanchez to be back in 2020.
- Matt Wells leaves Utah State to take the Texas Tech job, and he is bringing offensive coordinator David Yost and defensive coordinator Keith Patterson along.
- Matt Wells is thought to be the leader for the Texas Tech job.
- After a tough finish to the season, Rocky Long plans on evaluating his football program, including the coaching staff.
- Mike Bobo does not plan on making any changes to his coaching staff.
- Colorado State AD Joe Parker wrote a letter saying that Mike Bobo will be back in 2019.