How A Six-Win Wyoming Team Could Miss A Bowl Game
Will there be room for a six-win Wyoming and maybe a five-win Air Force team?
There are 78 spots in 39 bowl games
The Wyoming Cowboys are looking to become bowl eligible if they beat New Mexico this weekend. Usually, if a team gets to six wins a bowl game is basically a lock, but this year could be different as there are 23 teams vying for six spots.
With one full week of college football left let’s take a look at who is eligible and can Wyoming earn a bowl bid.
Also, the Mountain West has just five bowl spots and there are currently six teams with six wins, so the Cowboys being the seventh team to become bowl eligible be on the outside looking in.
There are 78 teams that will go bowling for 39 games in the bowl season.
Bowl–eligible teams (72)
- ACC (9): Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia
- American (6): Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, Temple, UCF
- Big Ten (7): Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin
- Big 12 (5): Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, West Virginia
- C-USA (6): FIU, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, UAB
- Independent (3): Army, BYU, Notre Dame
- MAC (7): Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Miami (OH), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, Western Michigan
- Mountain West (6): Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, Utah State
- Pac-12 (7): California, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Washington, Washington State, Arizona State
- SEC (10): Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Mississippi State
- Sun Belt (6): Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, Louisiana, Louisiana–Monroe, Troy
There are six spots that need to be filled and that will make for some drama over Thanksgiving weekend.
Five win teams
- American (2): SMU, Tulane
- ACC (2): Florida State, Wake Forest
- Big Ten (4): Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue
- Big 12 (4): Baylor, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech
- C-USA (2): Florida Atlantic, Southern Miss
- MWC (1): Wyoming
- Pac-12: (3): Arizona, Colorado, USC
- SEC: (2): Tennessee, Vanderbilt
- Sun Belt (1): Coastal Carolina