MWC Wire Top 25 Basketball Countdown: #6 – Justin James
The Wyoming star is No. 6 in the countdown
MWC Wire Top 25 Countdown: #6 Justin James
The No. 6 player in the MWC Wire Top 25 Basketball Countdown is Wyoming guard Justin James.
James, a Florida native, enters his senior season as the star of this year’s Wyoming squad. Prior to declaring for the NBA Draft, James averaged 18.9 points, 6.0 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 1.1 steals per game for the Cowboys. James missed one game with an injury, but started in each of his other 32 appearances.
Now back for his senior year after testing the NBA Draft waters, James is looking to guide Wyoming to another 20-win season. The 6-7 wing has bulked up over the offseason, adding 15 pounds to his frame. With an abundance of offseason goodbyes in Laramie, don’t be surprised if James carries one of the heavier offensive workloads in the country this year. He could end up with one of the highest points per game averages in the nation.
- 6) Justin James, Wyoming
- 7) Shakur Juiston, UNLV
- 8) Sam Merrill, Utah State
- 9) Lavelle Scottie, Air Force
- 10) Devin Watson, San Diego State
- 11) Justinian Jessup, Boise State
- 12) Nico Carvacho, Colorado State
- 13) Matt Mitchell, San Diego State
- 14) Jordan Brown, Nevada
- 15) JaQuan Lyle, New Mexico
- 16) Anthony Mathis, New Mexico
- 17) Braxton Huggins, Fresno State
- 18) Vance Jackson, New Mexico
- 19) Makuach Maluach, New Mexico
- 20) Deion James, Colorado State
- 21) Alex Hobbs, Boise State
- 22) Trey Porter, Nevada
- 23) Zach Haney, Boise State
- 24) Nate Grimes, Fresno State
- 25) Noah Robotham, UNLV
- Honorable mentions
Eli Boettger is the lead basketball writer at Mountain West Wire. He’s covered Mountain West basketball since 2015 and his work has been featured on Bleacher Report, NBC Sports, SB Nation, Yahoo Sports, MSN, and other platforms. Boettger is a current USBWA member.