SDSU Track Star Ellison Grove Named Academic All-American
Ellison Grove has reached the top 1% of college athletics AND academics. This is a once-in-a-generation SDSU accomplishment.
Ellison Grove is the very definition of All American, graduating with two SDSU track records and as valedictorian of the College of Arts and Letters.
Ellison Grove has been a stellar student and athlete with an outstanding college career. Her list of accomplishments on the track and off are equally as impressive. Because of that, she has made the highly-elite Google Cloud Academic All America® team.
To qualify for the Academic All American team, a scholar athlete must manage a near perfect 4.0 GPA- or higher. Just 47 track and field female scholar athletes nationwide were honored this year, and Grove was among the 28 at or above the 4.0 GPA level. The overall average GPA was 3.978.
Hailing from Catharpin, Virginia, Grove was recruited by coach Shelia Burrell. Under Burrell, Grove was the first sophomore ever to be named team captain because she was so highly respected for her work ethic. Her coach and teammates could rely upon her to always do what was best for the team and for the university.
As a freshman at SDSU, Ellison trained with the sprinters to develop speed. In her sophomore year, she ran with the cross country team to build endurance. As a junior, she landed an internship in Washington D.C. As a senior, she upheld two SDSU track records and graduated at the top of her class.
It’s clear that Grove is going to do big things. She has the mental discipline to achieve most any goal, and she is unstoppable.
To summarize Ellison Grove’s accomplishments:
- 600-meter SDSU record holder (1:31.48)
- 800-meter SDSU record holder (2:09.67)
- Perfect cumulative 4.0 GPA through undergraduate education as International Security and Conflict Resolution major
- 2017-2018 San Diego State Student Athlete of the Year
- Academic All-District Team (2015-16 & 2017-18).
- Three-time Mountain West Scholar Athlete
- 2016 USTFCCCA All-Academic Team
- 2017-2018 Division 1 Academic All-America® Women’s Cross Country/T&F team
- Valedictorian – College of Arts and Letters
- 2017-2017 College of Arts and Letters Commencement Speaker
Ellison Grove is only the second member of SDSU Cross Country or Track & Field to ever earn the Academic All America distinction. Karoline Koehler was the first (2008-2009).
The Aztec Nation congratulates Ellison Grove for her excellence on and off the field. It will be exciting to see what Grove sets out to do next!